Siracusa is just as interesting in the sunlight, as it is underground: here lies a forgotten underground city, the long and intricate network of catacombs. There are plentiful catacomb sites and access points around the city dating back to different ages.
Catacombs open to the public
- Catacombe di San Giovanni (St. John’s Catacombs)
- Catacombe di Santa Lucia (St. Lucy’s Catacombs)
- Ipogeum in Ortigia (used as a bomb shelter during WWII)
- Antico Lavatoio (free) (The ancient washhouse)
- Bagno Ebraico (The Jew Baths)
You absolutely cannot miss: Catacombe di San Giovanni